In Footnotes EP5, host Jonathan J. Cianfaglione briefly discusses NY Primary aftermath, and how Sanders joins Trump in complaining about a system when it stop working in their favor.
NY Primary Results by County
Millennics EP3 – Caucus v. Primary, for a discussion of the differences within primary voting.
Footnotes EP5 – NY Primary Aftermath, April 20, 2016.
NY Primary Aftermath
- Trump breaks 50% of the vote for the first time, capturing 60% of NY voters
- Trump leaves 3 delegates on the table for Kasich
- Clinton only wins 11 of NY’s 62 counties, but wins the counties that matter most
- Clinton’s victory forecloses a Sanders avenue to victory, notwithstanding an act from God
Closed Primary System:
- Sanders joins Trump in complaining about a system that stops working in their favor
- 11 states have a closed primary system
- 6 closed primaries (including NY) have taken place thus far in this Presidential race
- Of the 6 closed primaries, Sanders won 4 of those contests
- Candidates raise issues when they think those issues will effect them negatively, but not when those same issues effect them positively.